Friday, January 14, 2011

You say tomato, I laugh

because there's no way I can type "I say tomato," and have it make sense in print!

Along those lines, here's somethings that I have thought of recently.

The other day, my husband said "facial tissue." I knew what he meant, but it still cracked me up that he called it that. It was like talking to my grandmother or something. Kleenex - way to go on branding your product, because regardless of what brand I purchase, I still call it "kleenex."

Speaking of my grandmother, I have a recollection of her and my grandfather calling the glove box in the car the "jockey box." Honestly, I don't remember if this actually happened, or if this was a discussion we had or what. However, my memory tells me that they said the glove box was essentially like a jockey box that a person would use on a horse. Weird, right? This got me to thinking about our glove box. Why do we call it that? I have never stored gloves in there. If anything it should be called the car manual-spare napkins-flashlight box.

Also, while discussing terminology, back before I had my first period, my mom had had the talk with me and gotten me a box of pads to have on hand when the day came. (Forget about tampons. I had no idea they even existed for the longest time!) Anyway, the time came that I finally had to use that supply, and as I was leaving for school my mom said, "Do you have some extra feminine napkins?" Me: "What?" Her: "Feminine napkins. You should take a couple extra with you." Me: "I don't know what you're talking about." Her: "Pads! Did you pack some extra pads?" Now tell me, ladies, if I asked you for a feminine napkin, would you look at me like I had 3 heads?

No comments:

Post a Comment