Friday, April 8, 2011

Happiness is...

When the hubs and I first got married, we bought a house.  The same month as the wedding.  Crazy, right? Yeah, well, apparently that set a precedent for how we would continue to live our lives.  Everything, all at once.  But I guess you could say it works for us.  We've survived it all, and grown stronger individually and as a couple.

Down the street from our first house was a guy that was also new to the neighborhood.  I think his name was Mike.  Mike's house looked pretty rundown on the outside, but was beautiful on the inside.  He was doing all the renovations himself, and he said to us, "Happiness is going to Home Depot on a weekday."  We instantly knew what he meant.  Also, I had worked at Lowe's in college, so I most definitely knew what he meant.  And it was this, avoid the craziness of the all the people that try to cram a project into a weekend and make a million trips to the home improvement store on Saturday and Sunday.

Hubs and I have taken to using the beginning of his advice regarding various aspects of our life:

Happiness is ... coffee first thing in the morning.

Happiness is ... getting more than we expected back from our taxes.

Happiness is ... kayaking on a quiet and calm body of water.

Happiness is a happy baby.

You get the point.

Right now, I'm on my way out of town on the Bolt Bus to visit some friends.  All by myself.

It's my first time to be away from Little T since he joined our family, and missing a weekend full of potentially happy moments with my little family gives me twinges of sadness.

But sitting on this bus, knowing that my trip is a little over 4 hours long, having internet access, and having a laptop with some DVDs in my bag, and a good book, and the potential to take a nice long nap. Well, I'm pretty happy.

I told Hubby that I wasn't sure if I was more looking forward to the bus trip or the weekend with my friends.

I'll have to let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun! I'm already planning a boys weekend in DC with CP. :)

    ReplyDelete