Monday, August 22, 2011

A year ago today

My mother, Noah and I got in a van with a bunch of other adoptive parents using our same agency and drove off to meet our son.  We stopped at 1 or 2 more guest houses to pick up more families and then made our way to the orphanage.  First we went to the boys' house, and I thought we would see him there.  However, the agency kept the infants at the girls' house.  So we watched other families that were meeting their children for the first time.  We toured the boys' house.  We took pictures for the other families.  We cleaned up the leaking bottle from my diaper bag.  Finally, we got back in the van and headed to the girls' house.  I was so nervous and excited.  I didn't want to hurt myself by falling out of the van when we unloaded, so I made a point of looking down as I stepped out of the van.  Then I heard my mother say, "There he is!"  One of the caretakers was carrying Little T down the stairs to meet us.  I'm pretty sure there were tears in my eyes before I even locked my eyes on him.  He was wearing a red sweater, red and white checked shorts and pink socks.  Someone had apparently cut his hair recently.  And he was tired and overwhelmed by all the people.  The nurse handed Little T to me, and he was so heavy!  Actually my first thought was that I couldn't believe this was really happening.  We had waited nearly 4 years for this moment.  While I thought that I loved the boy that I had seen in pictures, that feeling was nothing compared to the love that I felt in that moment.  And the love that I felt in that moment is nothing compared to how much I love him now! 

Referral Picture that we received in February 2010.

Photo received in March 2010.

Photo received in May 2010.

Photo received in June 2010.

 One year ago today.

 Sunday, August 21, 2011

2 comments:

  1. I'll never forget that day, and the little details like what he was wearing or our first words to him. Such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet him. Why is Nashville so far from New York?

    ReplyDelete