Friday, June 10, 2011

The Ants Go Marching One By One, Hurrah, Hurrah!

We have ants in our kitchen.  Not a lot, in my opinion, but enough to be bothersome.  I would most likely classify my husband and I as lazy housekeepers.  We can put on a good show for when we have expected company.  However, if you pop in unexpected, you will see the toys all over the floors (the floors that are just a bit overdue for a good mopping*), there might be a strong faint odor from the diaper pail or litter pan, and we most likely did not wipe down the high chair tray, amongst other things.  What can I say?  I'm not going to kill myself to have a pristine home.  I'd rather spend some time with my family, read a book, get some zzz's, go for a bike ride.  That last sentence may sound like I am prioritizing the important stuff in life, and well, yes, you'd be right to think that.  But I'm also making excuses for our lazy housekeeping.

Anyway, we have ants.  I didn't think we had that many, and wasn't so bothered that we went out and bought all contraptions to get rid of them immediately.  After a week or so, my husband went out and bought some ant traps and strategically placed them on the counters.  But what got me was the other night when I really wanted a peanut butter and honey sandwich for dinner.  I popped open the top to the honey and ants came streaming out from under the top.  They were running down the sides of the honey bottle, onto the counter, and before I could let go of the bottle, up my arm.  That was 3 nights ago.  I keep thinking there are ants running up my arm...

Grrr!

So last night I got out the Clorox wipes and really attacked the counters and the front of the cabinets.  I wish I could say that I ALL the counters and cabinets, but did I mention that I'm a lazy housekeeper?  So I did a large portion of it. 

On to this morning, when I made some toast with homemade strawberry jam for Little T and I.  Do you know how much crumbs get all over the counter from making toast?!?!  I might have to remove the toaster for a while, so I won't be tempted to use it until this ant situation is settled.

*I have a love/hate relationship with mopping.  I do actually love the way my floors seem so clean afterwards, but I can't really get my brain to accept that it's really clean.  Isn't mopping essentially making a thin paste out of the dirt on your floor and the liquid you're mopping with and then just spreading it around your floor in an even layer?

2 comments:

  1. Better to have ants on the counter than ants in your pants is what I always say.
    And yes, I would say that our housekeeping is done selectively and furiously, in spurts. If it was too clean, we wouldn't be able to retain that coveted "arrogantly shabby" look that we've worked so hard to maintain.
    As for the footnote -- couldn't agree more! Whenever I've mopped (both times!), it seems like there is just a shiny film of dirt-paste on top of the floor's surface. I do, however, like the fact that the smell from the mopping temporarily masks the lethal odor emanating from the litter pan and diaper pail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, you make a make an excellent point about mopping. Well said, Sister. Sometimes when my floors are dirty I just put on shoes. Is that bad? If it is, I'm not sure I care.

    ReplyDelete