Sunday, February 3, 2013

A year ago today

When we grow up, we learn the important dates to remember.  Our birthday.  Christmas, Halloween, Eastern, New Year's Eve/Day, etc.  As you get older, other dates start to matter more.  I was with my first boyfriend for nearly seven years.  I used to remember the date of our first kiss.  9/11/01 - Of course, I will never forget.  It was also my parent's 30th wedding anniversary.  April 18, 2003 - Our wedding day.  June 8, 2010 - The day Noah and I finally, legally became parents.  August 22, 2010 - The first time we got to see, meet, hold and kiss our son.  The list could go on and on.

Dates have been running through my mind today.  A year ago today was my last day of work with my previous employer.  It was my last day of job security.  It was my next to last day as a resident of New York.  It was a big leap for us to leave behind my job, our house and our friends.  I would say it has worked out well for us, but oh what a year it has been!

We lived with my inlaws for 2 months (thanks, guys!).  With the help of my dad, I was able to surprise my mom with a visit for her 60th birthday.  We got an apartment, site unseen.  I fell down the steps and sprained my ankle.  We moved back in with my inlaws (thanks, guys!).  We lost a beloved pet.  The Little Dude and I made good friends at the playground.  We went to the zoo.  A lot.  We reconnected with old friends.  Amidst many false starts, Noah and I took a great vacation.  I got a job.  A really good one.  Our house flooded for the second year in a row in Hurricane Sandy.  We visited my parents at their new home over Thanksgiving.  December 3rd - My dad took his own life.  The holidays sucked.

It's hard to remember the good things.  So much of my mind is focused on that one date.  December 3, 2012.  

I'm determined for 2013 to be a better year.  We even decided to have the quasi-traditional meal to ring in the New Year of black-eyed peas (in a mushroom soup), cornbread and greens (brussel sprouts).  

This year, Noah and I will celebrate our 10-year anniversary.

So many dates to remember.  I'm sure in another year, Feb. 3rd won't hold much space in my memory anymore.  However, I have hope that 2013 will be the year that I remember healing my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment